Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!
– Psalm 90
It’s the end of 2020 and I know folks have MANY hopes for the new year. Questions linger about what, why, and in the midst of it all, where is our comfort? It’s fitting that we spend the first few months in the spiritually refreshing Psalms together, and in a section that answers and/or reassures in light of our questions and concerns. Of all the places to spend in scripture together, poetry and song seems a great place to kick off 2021. Prepare now by reading Sunday’s selection: Psalm 90.
It’s ALSO a great time to ask people to JOIN IN! The gospel call will be STRONG each week, so if there was ever a time to have fresh faces join us (virtually OR physically) it’s never been better. For all Facebook users, why not SHARE and/or INVITE others to join us Sunday using the event listing here? We had 6 new folks join us last Sunday, and I’m excited to see what God will do through Refuge in 2021. (Speaking of which, we raised over $1,000 extra dollars Christmas Eve to bless those in need with our special offering. Thanks for your continued generosity and giving hearts).
As we close the year, I would ask that we each take a moment to pray today: for those sick and/or recovering in our congregation and circumference, for those struggling physically, spiritually and emotionally, and most importantly to praise and thank our God for his love and protection this year. I also heartily recommend prayers that he gives us (together and individually) opportunities in 2021 to love our neighbors, help those in need, and to share our faith in faithful and fruitful ways. As children of God, through the grace of Christ, we indeed have His favor: may he establish the work of our hands in 2021.
Grace, peace, and Happy New Year! – pastor James
– On site service(no children’s ministry this Sunday as we adapt to virus restrictions/concerns)
– Virtual service can be accessed through our YouTube Page: youtube.com/c/RefugeChurch
IMPORTANT LINKS AND RESOURCES
- Missed our end-of-year sermon? Catch “From Cradle to Controversy” with Pastor James
- A PSALMS primer – get ready for the Psalms with this video from The Bible Project
- Engaging POETRY – 30% of the Bible is poetry, HERE’s how to READ it
- Psalms DIVIDED? Gotquestions.org explains why the Psalms are segmented into five books
- POPCORN Theology – James – with Kat and co-hosts – reviews the Christmas classic(?) BATMAN RETURNS.
- Psalms REDUX w/Saybrook – Revisit the “60 Second Sermons”. Watch the Psalms 1 sermon, then Read Psalm 1.
- Persecuted Church: from Pakistan, a story of freedom from slavery to end our year and pray with praise.